Metropolitan Bus Franchise tender process
Public Transport Victoria (PTV) is carrying out a competitive tender process for the Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Franchise, which provides for the operation of approximately 30 per cent of the Melbourne public bus network. This is the first time such a significant portion of Melbourne’s public bus network has been publicly tendered, and is an important part of PTV’s plan to improve public transport services across Melbourne.
PTV has announced a shortlist in the tender process for the operation of approximately 30 per cent of Melbourne’s bus network.
The following four shortlisted parties have confirmed their interest in continuing in the tender process.
- Keolis Downer Rail
- National Bus Company (Victoria) Pty Ltd
- Transit Systems Pty Ltd
- Veolia Transport Australasia Pty Ltd
A call for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for the franchise was released in June this year. The shortlisted parties will be invited to participate in a formal tender process commencing later this year, with submissions closing early next year.
The Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Franchise is comprised of a fleet of around 500 buses operating the following services:
- Eastern area: 40 routes running in excess of 2500 services per week day and servicing the eastern suburbs and Melbourne CBD, including the four Doncaster Area Rapid Transit (DART) services, plus 106 school-only services.
Download a map of the franchise region and routes for eastern area services as at 1 August 2012:
Map of Eastern area services (PDF) 25.56 MB
- Western area: nine routes running in excess of 700 services per week day and servicing the western suburbs, south-eastern suburbs and the Melbourne CBD, plus 16 school-only services.
Download a map of the franchise routes for western area services as at 1 August 2012:
Map of Western area services (PDF) 19.82 MB
- SmartBus Orbitals: three bus routes (including Route 901, Route 902 and Route 903) run in excess of 545 week day services through Melbourne’s outer suburbs. These services run at a high frequency from 5am to midnight Monday to Friday, 6am to midnight on Saturday and 7am to 9pm on Sunday.
Download a map of orbital SmartBus Route 901 as at 1 August 2012:
SmartBus Route 901 (PDF) 273 kB
Download a map of orbital SmartBus Route 902 as at 1 August 2012:
SmartBus Route 902 (PDF) 254 kB
Download a map of orbital SmartBus Route 903 as at 1 August 2012:
SmartBus Route 903 (PDF) 197 kB
Expression of Interest (EOI) documents
Expressions of Interest closed at 10am on Thursday, 19 July 2012.
Details of particular experience and capacity sought are provided in the EOI documents, which can be downloaded via the links below.
Volume 1: Expression of Interest Brief (PDF) 412 kB
Volume 3: Returnable Schedules (PDF) 285 kB
24 August 2012: Public Transport Victoria announces shortlist for Melbourne metropolitan bus franchise. View the media release.
6 June 2012: Expressions of Interest now open for Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Franchise. View the media release.
Any queries about the competitive tender process can be directed to the Public Transport Victoria project team at email@example.com