Hurstbridge Line Upgrade
Timeframe: Start: 2010 I Finish: 2013
Cost: $60.8 million
The Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project involves constructing additional stabling at Eltham and upgrading signalling along sections of the Hurstbridge line.
Project works include:
- Reconfiguring the Eltham stabling yards to add two extra stabling roads, bringing the total to five stabling tracks.
- Upgrading 15 kilometres of signalling between Greensborough and Hurstbridge railway stations.
- Building a new section of track north of the Diamond Street level crossing to allow trains to enter and exit the stabling yard independent of the main rail line.
- Constructing a new substation at the corner of Sherbourne Road and Stephen Street in Montmorency to provide additional power supply to support the new infrastructure on the Hurstbridge Line.
- Improving the visual amenity of Eltham railway station with landscaping and fencing.
- Establishing a heritage exhibit in the Eltham railway station precinct to display the historical manual signalling equipment.
The project will improve the reliability and efficiency of the Hurstbridge line and enable extra peak period services to operate between Eltham and Melbourne.
By storing more trains at Eltham, they will not have to be transferred from stabling yards on other lines. This creates more capacity in the timetable to add extra passenger services on the Hurstbridge line and helps improve on-time reliability.
Automated signalling will allow more than one train to travel in the same direction along the single line section of track. This will enable existing and new services on the Hurstbridge line to operate more efficiently.
- Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project fact sheet (PDF) 370 kB
- Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project - Montmorency substation fact sheet (PDF) 209 kB
- Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project - Montmorency substation design concepts (PDF) 66.3 kB
- Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project newsletter: August 2012 edition (PDF) 238 kB
- Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project newsletter: November 2012 edition (PDF) 946 kB
For more information, please call Public Transport Victoria on 1800 800 007.
You can provide feedback about the Hurstbridge Line Upgrade project by completing an online enquiry form.