Cost: 2011-12 Budget commitment $222 million
The Victorian Government will purchase 7 new X'Trapolis suburban trains for Melbourne. The trains will be running on the network from 2014.
The 7 new trains are part of a commitment to 40 new trains.
Features of some of the new trains will include:
- advanced modern design incorporating effective air-conditioning and heating
- a minimum of three automatically opening and closing doors on each side per carriage to minimise the time taken at station stops
- improved suspension to boost passenger comfort
- complete advanced closed circuit television systems in every carriage
- direct video links between each carriage and the train driver
Seating layouts in the new trains will be discussed with Metro trains to maximise capacity and efficiency while improving passenger comfort.
To increase capacity on the regional rail V/line network, new VLocity carriages have been delivered. There are currently 134 VLocity carriages in service.
An order of 40 new carriages will help to meet the demands of continuing growth as well as the expansion that will be made possible with the completion of the Regional Rail Link in 2016.
The first of the new carriages is expected to be delivered in 2014, and the last of them expected to arrive in late 2016.
See You Tube clip (opens in a new window): Premier Ted Baillieu announces the order of 40 new VLocity carriages to meet the growing passenger demand on Victoria's regional rail network.